Share |

A blog dedicated to promoting the healing power of essential oils and aromatherapy

Discover essential oil profiles, aromatherapy practice, essential oil safety, aromatherapy training,essential oil uses, aromatherapy talk and many more aromatherapy notes - all from a unique UK/USA perspective....

Monday, July 12, 2010

Insects, Bugs and Ant Bite Treatment With Aromatherapy

A month or so ago, I posted about my deck problem with ants and the use of peppermint oil to deter them.  As "bug season" seems to be in full swing here in Arizona, I had another experience yesterday with the insect variety, this time with fire ants.  Fire ants, although small, bite big.  I couldn't believe the size of the bite that came up from such a small insect!  However, as soon as it happened, even before the bite began to show, I slapped on some tea tree and geranium essential oil, in a white lotion base, and the swelling/bite was reduced and relieved in a matter of minutes.  I continued to apply the lotion throughout the day and although the bites are still there (yes, they got me more than once before I realized what was happening!), the use of aromatherapy in this instance certainly helped!

I have used a combination of tea tree and geranium essential oil in a white lotion base previously, specifically to treat:

  •  mosquito bites/repellant
  • other bug bites
  • heat rash.
I've also used it on my niece (who was about three years old at the time) with success - unfortunately, she is also prone to being a prime attraction where insects and bugs are concerned!  Just remember to reduce the quantity of essential oils used for a young child and do a patch test first, if possible.

And good luck with the insects this summer! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment